Sunday, January 17, 2010

Garden update!!

Just a quick one.

Here is a pineapple that is ready for harvest. We have harvested two others this past week and BOY were they sweet and juicy...After eating, I always dry out and re plant the top part of the pineapple.
Gotta have pineapples growing in the garden in the Tropics!!

Over the last two days, the kids and I have been preparing the veggie gardens for planting. There are 4 gardens here and the kids have called them summer, autumn, winter and spring.
In the tropics, you tend to plant after the wet season, but I might try some corn soon. I got corn through Cyclone Larry so as long as I heavily fertilise and mulch, we should be ok.
The lonely one plant in the first garden is ginger, there should be a lovely big chunk buried in there.

Next: our passionfruit vine. It is growing on a trellis on the Western wall of the house. It is doing a great job of protecting that wall (our bedroom) from the sun.
and see our lovely watertank!!
And our dog.....
Close up of the fruit....might go and pick some now, they are making my mouth water!!







1 comment:

  1. You know, I still lust after your mangoes but knowing that you are growing pineapples and passionfruit too makes it worse!

    ReplyDelete